Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sharing - Beauty Secrets - Updated

It's been a while since I posted, so I am going to share some of my favorite beauty secrets!

1. Exra Virgin Coconut Oil is a miracle oil with tons of uses.  Here are a few:
-Use in place of body lotion for extra hydration, or on the face to help battle acne and moisturize.  May also help repair stretch marks and cellulite.  I melt some in my hands and then work it into my skin after showering.
-Cook with it in place of butter or oils
-Add to hair overnight or a few hours before showering, rinse out and shampoo as usual for super soft hair.  Rub into cuticles to keep them soft and nails healthy and white.
- Can be given to pets for their general health and keeps their coats soft and shiny.  My cat loves it and I give him about 1/2 teaspoon per day.
-Add it to your daily diet for a healthy dose of saturated fats.  Can also improve energy and help maintain hydration levels.
-It is a natural anti-fungal, so use it on your feet if you wear socks often or are prone to or worried about athlete's foot.  Also leaves feet wonderfully soft if left on overnight and covered with cotton socks.

2. Monistat Ant-Chafing Gel is a dupe for expensive makeup primers.
-The little tube costs a fraction of the price but works just as well as a pricey primer, especially for mineral makeup.  The ingredients are almost exactly the same as in Smashbox PhotoFinish primer.  And no - it's not made for yeast infections!  It's actually to prevent chafing all over the body from things like bra straps.  It can even be used around the eyes!  I usually spread a bit over my entire face including eyelids, wait a few minutes, and then apply my foundation.  It has a super silky texture and helps minimize pores and keep makeup on all day.  I get mine at Wal-Mart and it's only $6 for 1.5 oz., whereas a 1 oz. tube of Smashbox primer is $32!

3. Toothpaste or Polident can be used to clean jewelry.  Just use toothpaste and a toothbrush, or drop jewelry into a bowl with Polident and wait 5-10 minutes.  Your stones will sparkle and you won't have to hassle with bringing them to a jewelry store for cleaning.

4. Baking soda can be used for a variety of beauty uses, for example:
-Keep it near the sink and sprinkle some on top of your toothpaste before you brush.  Helps fight plaque, staining, buildup, and can whiten teeth.   Also leaves your mouth feeling wonderfully clean.  Since I started using this my dentist has commented twice now on how I have no buildup at my checkups.
-Mix shampoo with it in the shower to clarify the hair.  It strips chemicals from products and styling out of the hair and leaves it soft, shiny, and managable.
-Use it as a body scrub - mix it with shower gel to gently buff away dry skin on the body.
-Sprinkle it in the tub after the shower and rub it around with your feet - both exfoliates the feet and helps clean the tub :)

What are some of your beauty secrets or home remedies?

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh I should really make the switch over to coconut oil for cooking. I know people often take it almost as a supplement because of its hydrating effects. I hadn't heard of using it on nails before though I think I should give it a try. I used to use mayonnaise in my hair prior to a regular washing for extra conditioning. It isn't as bad as it sounds...if you don't mind the smell for a half hour prior to your shower it does a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips fields! I've eaten it for 5 days in a row now and I do think it's helping my hydration levels, especially with how dry its been outside. I'm a bit worried about the calories but if I notice I'm gaining weight I'll stop eating it. I also have made eggs with it and they turned out good and you can't really taste the coconut!

    ReplyDelete