Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Review - Cover Girl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm

I received the new Cover Girl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm in Pinot as part of a promotion that Cover Girl had (thanks for the sample CG!).  I was excited to try this product as it's part of a new launch of CG products that contain natural ingredients and packaging that biodegrades faster than normal plastics. Also, I'm a gloss/balm junkie (is there a Lip Products Anonymous that I can join?) so I love trying out new ones.

The line exchanges certain heavier synthetics for carefully-chosen natural ingredients.  It isn't completely natural or organic but it does have more natural ingredients than their normal products, including mango and shea butter and it also contains SPF 15.  When I first saw the shade (a mauvey-red with shimmer) I thought it would be way too dark for me but I gave it a shot anyway and I was pleasantly surprised.  The balm glides on smoothly and for a gloss/balm it has good color payoff and the texture is very light - not sticky or heavy at all.   I have read other reviews of this product on the Cover Girl website and the biggest gripe people seem to have is that some of the shades have too much shimmer and some also feel waxy.  Happily, I experienced neither of these issues with the product.  I also like the design of the tube - it's slim and lightweight, easy to keep in a purse or pocket for quick application.  The green color of the tube is charming and I didn't mind leaving it on my desk at work for all to see.

I wore this all day today and although it's moisturizing upon application it did seem to dry out my lips a bit more than the normal balm I usually use, which is Mayron's Goods Chapstuff.  I re-applied probably once per hour and I would say that if you're not eating or drinking the color lasts about 1-2 hours.  I think that at $6-7 it's a bit overpriced for what it is, but I assume the price is a bit higher because of the more natural ingredients and the packaging.  

Overall, I would purchase a few more of these in different shades (there is a very nice shade selection) but probably with a coupon.  These would be nice to keep in various places like purses, desk drawers, ect. to have an easy balm with a hint of color when needed.  The SPF in it and the light texture will be great for summertime.  Compared to other balms I've used it wasn't the most moisturizing but considering that it has many shades, natural ingredients, a pleasing texture, and earth-friendly packaging I still think it's a nice product and worth checking out.  A few points off were for the fact that I can't find an ingredient list anywhere on the packaging or website, and also the tube I received was not sealed which would not be good when buying from a retail store.


Grade: B
Pros: Lightweight, nice shade selection, more natural ingredients, biodegradable packaging
Cons: Doesn't last long, not as moisturizing as other balms, no ingredients listed, product not sealed
Get it: http://www.covergirl.com/beauty-products/lip-makeup/lipgloss/natureluxe-gloss-balm

No comments:

Post a Comment