Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Summer Essentials

I am definitely the type of girl who changes up my makeup and products depending on the season.  In the winter I like jewel tones and matte skin, in the summer I prefer shimmery bronzes and and a healthy glow.  Now that summer's here, I want to share with you my favorite summer beauty essentials and the products I've been reaching for lately.


1. Napoleon Perdis Protege Lip Gloss 
This gloss is a limited edition item and was gifted to me through Meg's Makeup.  After getting it, I bought another off eBay because I loved it so much!  It's a beautiful perfect sheer peach that's gorgeous on any complexion.  It has a pleasant minty flavor and a light, non-sticky texture.  This works perfect with a peachy blush or bronzer and shimmery nude eyes and although it's a gloss it does have some staying power.


2. Origins Sunkissed Color Kit
This adorable kit contains Rose Dust Brush-On color (matte bronzey-rose), eyeshadows in Twinkle (shimmering white) and Copper Penny (shimmering sandy copper), and a Mini Lip gloss Duo: Caramel Candy Liquid Lip Color & Mangotini Liquid Lip Shimmer.  Lately I've been reaching for this daily because the shades compliment each other beautifully and I love the look of the brush-on color on my tanner complexion.  The shade doubles as a bronzer/blush in my opinion and is on the sheer side, so it's very versatile. The shadows also go well together and are sheer with a very summery shimmer.  


3. Fekkai Beach Waves and Zero Humidity Frizz Control 
Both of these Fekkai products are absolutely perfect for the sticky months.  Beach Waves is the first product I've used that gives me pretty, imperfect waves without being sticky or heavy.  I just spray it in when my hair is dry or almost dry, scrunch and twist a few sections and away I go.  The Frizz Control is fantastic for particularly humid days and really helps control flyaways and frizz while adding shine.  By far my two favorite summer hair products.


4. Circle of Friends Leilani's Halakahiki Lotio
This natural lotion is actually made for children as after-sun care and I love it for its soothing ingredients including Grape seed oil, Vitamins A, D, and E, and Aloe Leaf.  It also helps that it has a fantastic smell - think tropical grape kool aid!  This lotion is light, non greasy, soothes skin and absorbs quickly.  It comes in a pump bottle which makes it easy to quickly apply as needed.  I keep it on my nightstand and when I put it on before bed I love falling asleep to the smell. Perfect for little kids and big kids, like me!


5. Skinceuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50 
This is a great sunscreen for delicate areas like the face, neck, and chest where you need protection but don't want to wear anything heavy and pore-clogging.  The ingredients are activated by shaking the bottle so they are evenly distributed.  The lotion itself is very lightweight, absorbs quickly, leaves no residue, and provides a matte finish.  In addition, it offers broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection - what could be more perfect than that in the summer!


6. Tarte Park Avenue Princess Mineral Powder Bronzer 
I've had this for over a year and it still looks brand new - I must admit that I love how pigmented Tarte's products are and that they last forever.  This is a perfect matte waterproof bronzer and works great on fair skin without giving  the dreaded Snooki vibe.  I use the '3' method on both sides of my face for the perfect bronzed look, then apply a bit of blush on the apples of my cheeks for a healthy summer glow.  I really love that the coverage is very buildable depending on your bronzing needs. For a cheaper alternative but that has less natural ingredients, check out Mark's Bronze Pro bronzing powder.


What are your favorite summer essentials??

No comments:

Post a Comment