Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Review - Estee Lauder Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator

Through a sampling promotion I received a full-sized bottle of Estee Lauder's new Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator to test out and was so excited - a product that in just 2 weeks can fade acne scars, sunspots, discolorations and redness and leaves skin clear and bright?!  Sounds right up my alley because every time I get a blemish it takes forever to heal on my fair skin and the marks make me self conscious.  I recently switched to Natural Bliss skin care so I was a bit worried to use this non-natural product after the great results I've been getting from a natural line, but for the sake of beauty (and you!) I decided to give it a shot.  


The directions say to use it twice a a day for the first 12 weeks after cleansing and follow with a moisturizer, then once in the morning after that.  The first week I started using it I had just returned from camping and had a few blemishes from not doing my regular skin care routine so it was a perfect time to test this to see if it faded the spots more quickly.  I started using it morning and night followed by an application of passion fruit oil (I use that instead of a regular moisturizer nightly) and during the day I followed it with a facial serum.  It has a thicker texture, less of a serum and more like a light moisturizer, and instantly has a brightening and shimmering effect on the skin - something you may not like if you don't wear foundation, as it's not a natural look at all.  For the first week or so I really liked it.  I was waking up to a more even skin tone, my red spots seemed to be fading more quickly, and my pores appeared smaller.  Then I started to notice that I was breaking out - including an acne cyst on my cheek, which I rarely get - and had more clogged pores than usual.  Thinking it was still just from not following my regular routine the week before, I kept using it.  Suddenly it seemed like every day I had a new blemish, then I would apply the Illuminator to fade the spot, and then I'd get another blemish somewhere else!  The rest of my skin looked great though - very even, and yes, illuminated and bright just as promised.  After giving it another week, about 3 total, I finally stopped using it.  I went back to my usual routine and my skin is finally getting back to normal and I have had no new blemishes since I stopped using it.  The clogged pores have also cleared up.  So sadly although I really wanted this product to work for me, it didn't - so there it sits 1/4 empty in my cabinet with my other chemical-filled castoffs.  I think that on someone who isn't used to natural skin care only and has normal/not sensitive skin this product would work great, but with my recent natural obsession my skin is used to gentler ingredients.  I'm going to stick with my passion fruit oil nightly because it does about the same thing as far as reducing pore size/fading spots/brightening as this but is also organic, doesn't break me out, and costs a lot less.


Overall:B-
Pros: Instantly brightens, makes skin even toned, reduced pore size, helped fade spots more quickly
Cons: Breakouts and clogged pores!  May not be good for those with sensitive skin or who use more natural skin care
Get it: 
http://www.esteelauder.com/product/689/14025/Idealist/index.tmpl , $58/1 oz., $85/1.7 oz.


**Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a Desert Essence Throughly Clean Oil Control Lotion!! : http://prettylightsbeauty.blogspot.com/2011/07/desert-essence-throughly-clean-oil.html **

No comments:

Post a Comment