Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mascara - my top picks!

Let's talk about one staple in many women's beauty arsenals - mascara!  I have had a love/hate relationship with mascara for a very long time.  I seem to find one that I love at first, only to wind up hating it halfway through its use.  Things I, and I'm sure most of us, hate : clumps, flaking, smearing, wearing off, and eye irritation.  Here's a review of the last 3 mascaras I have tried out.

1. bareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara, $18
bareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara 

From the website: Wink, blink, and bat your eyes. With Flawless Definition Mascara, you'll enjoy every lash. The tapered wand lengthens, darkens and lifts, separating each individual lash for precision definition.





So what's the story? 

Pros: Mineral - natural
         Coats evenly
         Provides separation
         Doesn't clump
         Nice daytime shade of black 

Cons: Doesn't lift as stated
          Wears off by the end of the day - needs reapplication
          Provides minimal extra length
          Slight tendency to flake/smudge

Overall:   B  This mascara is great for natural daytime looks where you want a more toned down lash.  It does not provide much 'oomph' as far as length, darkness, or curl is concerned.  I would suggest it for someone looking for a natural mascara that defines and separates lashes for everyday use, but I would use a different mascara for a sexy nighttime look.



2. Urban Decay Skyscraper Multi-Benefit Mascara, $22
Urban Decay Skyscraper Multi-Benefit Mascara

From the website: Reach new heights with our drastically improved, six-in-one Skyscraper Mascara. Our innovative formula will lengthen, strengthen, separate, curl, brighten and thicken your lashes without even a hint of clumping or flaking. The state-of-the-art, new generation brush features a flexible shaft and multiple rows of tapered bristles to comb through lashes from root to tip. Skyscraper gives you that "come hither" look that gets 'em every time

So what's the story?

Pros:   Lengthens
           Provides a girly, flirty look
           No flaking or clumps
           Separates

Cons: Doesn't last all day
          Can get a bit sticky if applying more than 1 coat

Overall: A+  This is by far my favorite mascara.  I love that it actually does all it says it does.  When I curl my lashes and then use 1-2 carefully applied coats of Skyscraper, I feel like I have the girly flirty lashes I've always wanted.  I do wish it lasted a bit longer throughout the day, and it can cause lashes to stick a bit if applying more than 1 coat, but those are minor issues with an otherwise great mascara. The multi-layered wand provides nice even application and seems to help with lengthening.  I use this daily after curling and apply 2 coats for a night out.



3. Benefit BADgal Lash Mascara,  $19
Benefit BADgal Lash

From the website: Why we love it: Sexy, sultry, pure unadulterated black mascara for full, voluminous lashes. It's as BAD as you want to be!  What else you need to know: Famously big, bodacious brush coats lashes with our super black formula.



So what's the story?

Pros: Lengthens/volumizes
         Not clumpy
         Provides curl
         Long lasting
         True black shade

Cons: Goopy texture
          Chemical smell


Overall: A  This is a close second on my list to Urban Decay Skyscraper.  The texture is a bit weird - when I pull the wand out of the tube it sometimes has a string of mascara that hangs off the wand, but I just brush it off on the top of the tube.  The wand itself is large and provides nice even coverage that doesn't clump.  The shade is a true dark black, almost oily looking, so it's great for a sexy Bardot look. The only other thing that puts me off is that it has a kind of chemical smell to it, but I am not sure if that is normal or if I got a bad batch.  This mascara is great for a sultry nighttime look.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment