Sunday, April 3, 2011

Review - Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

I have always coveted the clear, glowing, beautiful skin that some women seem to posses so naturally and effortlessly.  Unfortunately my skin isn't perfect and the biggest problem I've been battling for years is clogged pores in the form of whiteheads.  I have tried everything to get rid of them, from exfoliating to serums, acne treatments, and even extracting (not good, I know!).  Extracting would get them to go away but leave red spots on my fair skin and they would eventually return.  Not long ago a great review was posted on MegsMakeup.com about Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, and after reading more good reviews online I decided to give it a try.  Clay masks are about the only product I haven't tried to clear my clogged pores, so at this point I can say I've tried just about everything!  


This product is bentonite clay from Death Valley, California, where it is sun- dried for up to six months in temperatures that sometimes reach 134 degrees.  I purchased the clay on VitaminShoppe.com, which sells 1 pound for a mere $7.16.  One of the perks of this clay is that you mix it yourself and can mix it with different things depending on what type of skin you have.  Oily skin can use apple cider vinegar and egg whites to help dry skin out, acne prone can add honey to their mixture, and normal or combination skin can use apple cider vinegar or water.  There are websites online that have recipes for making different masks using this clay, I will link to one at the bottom of this post. I have used it with vinegar and water, but just water has a tendency to make the clay harder to mix.  Mixing it with vinegar makes it foam up and you can get a nice even consistency.  These are the directions from the manufacturer: Mix aztec secret indian healing clay with equal parts of apple cider vinegar or water.its best to use a glass, pottery or wooden bowl. Stir the mixture until is a smooth paste-add more clay or liquid as needed. Apply a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick layer of clay to the face or other areas and let it dry. Drying times vary, but times are generally 5 minutes of delicate skin and 15-20 minutes for normal skin. You will feel a pulling and tightening sensation, deep pore cleansing! Remove clay by washing with warm water. A slight redness may appear after removing the clay. This is normal and will disappear in approximately 30 minutes.

The first time I tried it I put it on thick and after 20 minutes it still wasn't dry.  I have since adjusted my recipe and don't put it on quite as thick.  It does give a pulsating sensation as it dries and you can almost feel it pulling all the bad stuff out of your pores.  After the first time I used it I did have a break out the next day, but I think this was just the clay's effect of pulling the bad stuff to the surface where it could get out.  The only thing I don't like about this clay is getting it off!  I don't want to wash it down the sink because I have heard it can clog the drain, so I stand over the garbage can and rub/peel what I can off.  Then I use a washcloth and warm water to gently scrub the rest away.  It leaves skin slightly red but looking glowing and refreshed, and it definitely makes pores appear smaller.  This does have a tendency to dry out my skin a bit, so I follow the mask with an application of Passion Fruit Oil and then Kiehls moisturizer over that.  In the morning my skin is soft, bright, and healthy looking.  Since I started using it about 2 months ago, my whiteheads are for the most part gone!  For the first time in a very long time, I am feeling very good about my skin.  I have only had a few blemishes since I started using it, which I think are the rest of my clogged pores clearing out.  It seems to help the few blemishes I have gotten clear up and heal faster than before I used it and I have used it as a spot treatment as needed.  

I use it once a week and look forward to it - I just love how refreshed my skin looks after using it!  My skin is still not 'perfect', but I think with continued use this is going to help me keep it clear and healthy looking.  I am very happy I heard about this product, and happy I can share my experience with it with others now too.  If you're on the fence about it, I'd say give it a shot - you can't beat how much product you get for the price, and even after 2 months of use my jar hardly has a dent in it!  It seems to work on all types of skin with all types of problems.  It claims that it is the most powerful facial in the world, and having tried it I have to agree that it probably is!

Overall: A+
Pros: Price, clears clogged pores, keeps skin healthy and fresh looking
Cons: Getting it off, may clog the drain, slightly messy

Get it: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=SW-1001


http://www.amazon.com/Aztec-Secret-Indian-Healing-Clay/dp/B0014P8L9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301895221&sr=8-1 

Recipes: http://www.aztec-secret.com/Face%20Pulsate.htm

3 comments: